Pesto Rolls rolling out of the oven at Boothieville, brimming with toasted mozzarella cheese, garlic, basil and onion

Monday, April 12, 2010

I forgot to post day 54...I was packing for my weekend. Here it is...

I soaked and cooked 2 pounds of pinto beans.  You can't believe how many cooked beans this makes!  It takes a large kettle to manage them.  Luckily, I specialize in large kettles. 

I needed a cheap meal, so we ate vegetarian tonight.  Even so, we ate only about half of the beans, maybe the big half, but there are lots of beans left over for tomorrow night's tacos, and they will only need to be heated up in the microwave by the girls.  Easy.

Thursday's breakfast menu:  cold cereal and milk
Cost:  $1.99
cinnamon life cereal, one box:  $1.00
half gallon milk:  .99

sack lunches:  peanut butter sandwiches, lettuce wedges, Tropicana orange juice
Cost:  $2.97
4 oz peanut butter:  .24
apricot/raspberry jam:  .25
1 loaf bread:  .99
lettuce wedges:  .50
half gallon orange juice:  .99

snack:  buttered toast
Cost:  $1.12
one loaf white storebought bread:  .99
1/2 cube butter:  .13

supper menu:  pinto beans with cheese, lettuce wedges, bread and butter
Cost:  $3.22
2 lbs pinto beans, boiled:  1.02
one loaf white bread:  .79 on sale at Rosauers
one head lettuce @2/$1.00:  .50
butter:  .13
4 oz cheese, to top the beans:  .38
onion powder:  .05
5 oz salsa:  .40


Dinner is simple, but wholesome.  We buttered the bread and dipped it in the beans.  I didn't put any salsa in mine, because I don't feel well if I eat tomatoes, but everyone else except Sarah uses salsa.

Today's total:  $9.35

2 comments:

  1. Oh Mrs. B! I had no idea you were embarking upon such an adventure!
    I will have to read up on past posts and see how your project has been going. We miss you out here in Nebraska - some day you'll have to meet our nearly 11 month old little Levi.
    Miss you much!
    - "Hnoskova"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa! How did you find my blog? Word must be getting around, clear out there to Nebraska... And thanks for joining me on our journey through this project.
    You'll see how the kids have grown. And, remember those yummy rolls you used to help make for the market? I put up that picture just for the great memories it evokes.
    Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete