Pesto Rolls rolling out of the oven at Boothieville, brimming with toasted mozzarella cheese, garlic, basil and onion

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Day 60, and I can't get my mind off beef

Because of my beef craving, I took a look at Wray's for any cheap meat they might have.  They mark down their close-dated meats every morning, which is my only chance for inexpensive beef.  Noah went with me after kindergarten.  He doesn't mind going to grocery stores, especially since they have free cookies for kids.

There it was...the cut of meat I was waiting for.  At a price we could afford, with some help from my slush fund, that is.
  petite sirloin steaks, all for $2.77.  I'm liking it...

Later, in my fridge, I found a box of strawberries I had forgotten to use up for our fancy dinner last week. It was in a lower drawer.  Amazingly, they had not gone bad.  So I added them to this dinner, which made the room smell sweet and seem really special. 

We had homemade bread and au jus to complement the meat, and a green salad with the sliced strawberries.  I also heated up the remainder of last night's soup for anyone who needed more food.

The strawberries were like fruit/dessert, because we sweetened them.

The loaf was huge, so the slices were generous.


The steaks were small, but they were steak...most enjoyable.


Au Jus is one of my favorite sides to a beef steak meal.  Doesn't that look healthy and fresh?

Today's breakfast:  cold cereal and milk
Cost:  $2.00
frosted flakes or raisin bran, 10 servings:  1.00
half gallon milk:  1.00

sack lunches:  peanut butter and jam sandwiches, romaine lettuce, raisins
Cost:  $2.89
2 loaves my fresh enriched bread:  .86
1/2 jar peanut butter:  .50
1 cup jam:  .50
2 heads romaine:  .53
1/2 ounce each person, raisins:  .50

snack:  1 loaf bread, sliced (boring)
Cost:  $.43

dinner menu:  steak, ju jus, romaine salad, strawberries, leftover soup
Cost:  $6.05
petite sirloin steaks:  2.77
au jus mix:  .39
3 heads romaine:  .79
1 lb strawberries:  1.25
beef soup, leftover:  n/c
1 loaf homemade bread:  .43
2 tbsp sugar for strawberries:  .02
5 oz dressing @ .03/oz:  .15
parmesan 2 oz:  .25

Today's total:  11.37 
 I'm over by 1.37, but I had counted on this.  Worth every penny.  Slush fund money will pay for the overage.

No comments:

Post a Comment