Pesto Rolls rolling out of the oven at Boothieville, brimming with toasted mozzarella cheese, garlic, basil and onion

Monday, April 12, 2010

Day 55, the day I left for Pullman

I was home for breakfast, and a sack lunch was packed for me, so even though I wasn't here much today, I am mostly part of the counting of 10for10for10 for today.

I was on my way shortly after nine this morning.  Feeling somewhat guilty, leaving all the family work behind, but also excited to be on my way to a new adventure.  I met and rode with the mother of Annie's friend Esther, and had a great visit for four hours together.  She grew up in Rhodesia, now Zimbabwe.  It's not every day you get to meet somebody who grew up in Rhodesia...

Upon arrival, we headed straight for the congregational church's thrift shop in Pullman, where all the proceeds go to provide for a women's shelter on the Palouse.  I love that cool little shop, everybody is a volunteer, and you never know what exciting things you might find there.  

Today I found two awesome pot-holders, which I know I will use, and a belt to hold my pants up, because I couldn't find mine this morning.  Probably some girl of mine appropriated it for her own personal use.

I ate dinner at a dining hall.  It's been awhile... I'm really getting the college experience.  Meanwhile my family members were making tacos at home, with company, so there were still 10 for dinner.

Here's a look at our food day.
breakfast menu:  cold cereal and milk
Cost:  $1.75
10 servings life cereal(1 full box):  1.00
half gallon milk:  .75 (on sale this week, 1.50/gallon)

Sack Lunches:  egg salad sandwiches (again) from easter eggs, canned peaches, carrot sticks
Cost:  $2.75
14 eggs:  .79
5 oz mayonaise, @ .09/oz:  .40
one loaf storebought white bread:  .79
home-canned peaches:  .50
16 oz carrots:  .27

snack:  brownies
Cost:  $1.01
betty crocker brownie mix:  .69
1/2 cup oil:  .20
2 eggs:  .12

supper menu:   steak tacos with homemade tortillas, refried beans, cheese, shredded lettuce, salsa
Cost:  $3.78
tortillas:  .80
1/2 cube butter for the tortillas:  .13
large bowl of pinto beans, no charge, leftovers already paid for
1 lb steak strips, fried:  1.57
4 oz cheese:  .38
1 romaine head, shredded:  .48
5 oz salsa:  .40
touch of oil for frying:  .02

Today's total price tag:  $9.27
Because I wrote out exactly what they should prepare for dinner, the family was able to stick to the plan.  And thanks to my girls, who did the work to put together a meal for 10! 


No comments:

Post a Comment