Pesto Rolls rolling out of the oven at Boothieville, brimming with toasted mozzarella cheese, garlic, basil and onion

Monday, April 12, 2010

Day 57, Sunday sees me leaving Pullman, along with thousands of other Coug Moms

Thousands of middle-aged women were swarming around Pullman this weekend, none of us feeling like we could be old enough to have children old enough to be inviting us to a Mom's weekend event.

I got up early and enjoyed another one of those endless hot water showers.  The only other people shuffling around the dorm were other moms, also enjoying the excellent showers in the dorm.  It seemed to be a consensus---the best dorm showers ever!

I went to the early service at church with my family members. The early service?  Wow.  That is dedication, on a college schedule.  I guess that the early service is the place to be, because it was packed with college students every which way.   I got to meet more Coug moms there, as well as friends of my grown children.

Another pleasant experience was ahead of me as I found an early ride home with Annie's roommate's mother.  We had hours of great visiting, and now I have a new friend who lives nearby.  What a good way to end a good weekend.

She dropped me off right at my classroom, where I spent the afternoon teaching childbirth preparation to 8 couples who are expecting their babies in early summer.  Boy did I have to switch gears...

Straight from class I headed to our family community-group potluck, for which my responsible family had prepared an excellent contribution to the menu.

This was a big day for me.  Thankfully there were enough leftovers from our potluck food to make up our sack lunches for tomorrow.  So I didn't have to cook at all today.  Or all weekend, for that matter.  How's that?

The Boothies stuck to the menu plan that I wrote out for them. 

breakfast:  cold cereal and milk
Cost:  $1.80, the usual
9 servings of life cereal:  .90
half gallon milk @ 1.79/gallon today:  .90

lunch menu:  hamburger gravy and brown rice, sweet corn
Cost:  $3.74
brown rice, 4 cups:  .92
hamburger meat:  1.22
brown gravy mix:  .39
flour for thickening:  .10
1 tbsp beef soup flavor:  .13
1 lb frozen super-sweet corn:  .98

food for potluck dinner:  homemade mashed potatoes, steak strips in gravy, brownies
Cost:  $5.34
10 pounds of potatoes, peeled and mashed:  1.00
1 cup milk for potatoes:  .13
1/2 cube butter, for mashed potatoes:  .13
1 pound steak strips, fried:  1.57
2 cups flour for gravy:  .20
2 gravy mix packets:  .78
2 oz beef boullion:  .52
brownie mix:  .69
1/2 cup oil for brownies:  .20
2 eggs:  .12

Today's food cost total for 9 boothies, plus I'm back for one meal:  $10.88,
a little over, but we thought the fam should bring a large amount of food to the potluck.  We've got some left for tomorrow, which should even out the overage of today.

No comments:

Post a Comment