Pesto Rolls rolling out of the oven at Boothieville, brimming with toasted mozzarella cheese, garlic, basil and onion

Thursday, April 22, 2010

hotdogs and ramen

Have you noticed a shocking lack of hotdogs on our 10for10for10 menu?  I couldn't bring myself to save money by serving my children hotdogs.  So far, I have avoided them altogether.  Why, you ask? 

Well, just turn over the package and read the nutrition info for a reality check about hotdogs.  It will read something like this:   180 calories per serving, 170 from fat.  Or, if you buy the 10-packs, it might say 130 calories each, 120 from fat.   I can't bear to feed straight fat to my children, just to save money.  I can do it for a fun experience once in awhile over a fire.  I'm ok with that, just so I don't confuse hotdogs with actual meat, which my kids need to grow and be healthy.

Ramen, on the other hand, has had a useful place in our married life.  It is one of the few foods which goes down well for me when I am pregnant (which obviously means I've consumed quite a bit of ramen over the years).  I've had less temptation to use ramen lately since I have read it's nutrition labels as well.  Ramen has a high fat content, so I've mainly stuck to regular pastas and noodles instead.  I do recognize its speed of preparation and palatability, as well as its cheap pricetag, but since I have been avoiding Costco's temptations like the plague, I haven't picked up any ramen lately, and you don't see it in our menu. 

As I think it over, we really have been eating a low fat diet!  I've had the good fortune of finding cheap butter throughout the whole project, so we haven't been without tasty forms of fat, but in small quantities only.  Not much fried food, excepting a couple of days of fry-bread treats.  We don't eat margarine at all, no partially hydrogenated fats, so it's "real-butter-or-bust" around here.

1 comment: