Pesto Rolls rolling out of the oven at Boothieville, brimming with toasted mozzarella cheese, garlic, basil and onion

Monday, April 19, 2010

Day 62, in which I travel over 400 miles in 24 hours

In preparation for the upcoming birth of my daughter Jane's first baby, most of my children and I drove two hundred miles after school to attend a baby shower for her.  We spent the night at Ray's parents' home and had a really nice time. Then we drove back today.

I made a big batch of cinnamon and pesto rolls for the party. Some of the dough I formed into a loaf for the Boothies who had to stay home.  We also ate some of the pesto rolls along the way, so we wouldn't have to stop for dinner.

That is a seven foot table...just to give you a sense of scale.  I had already whacked off enough dough for three huge loaves before rolling it out. 


The rolls turned out so big that I cut them in half for the ladies.


Awwww...


Diane made this lovely quilt for the little grandbaby.


One of the girls used my camera to get a shot of Jane's baby lump, so here it is.

I'm not sure how to calculate the cost of our 10for10for10 expenditures, so this is how I'm going to handle it---I'm figuring the whole cost of the huge batch of rolls into our budget. We were fed by our hosts Diane and Len, which was part of their hospitality, so I can't count that into our budget, but even though we didn't eat all the rolls ourselves, I will charge our budget for this contribution to the party and our travel meals.

We ate the usual breakfast and sack lunches, then after school Sarah I picked up the younger children and headed out of town.  We munched on pesto rolls along the way, and gave some out at school to the girls, friends and Rodger.    Many hours later, at Len and Diane's home, we were served a really nice spaghetti dinner. 

The next morning we frosted 24 cinnamon rolls for the party, and still had 20 pesto rolls left to serve as well.  Len also made beautiful little mini quiches, and Diane served fresh fruits and veggies for the luncheon.  We had fun getting Jane ready with all kinds of baby supplies.  The children are getting excited to become aunts and uncles.  For me, it seems weird to almost be a Grandma. 

I've had to teach alot since I came home, so haven't had much time to write.  I'll finish the post asap.  Check back... 

breakfast menu:  cold cereal and milk
Cost:  $1.75
one box cereal:  1.00
half gallon milk:  .75

sack lunches:  peanut butter sandwiches, raisins and marshmallows, carrot sticks, pesto rolls for Rodger
Cost:  $3.80
one loaf white bread:  .99
peanut butter, 5 oz:  .30
jam:  .40
marshmallows, 1 bag:  1.00
3 oz organic raisins:  1.30
pretzels, bags of 16 each:  .54
16 oz carrots:  .27

supper, everybody gone but Rodger, he eats chees sandwiches and cold cereal with milk, the big girls eat pesto rolls and steak at a friend's house, we eat pesto rolls, then spaghetti at Diane's home
Cost for Rodger's cheese sandwiches and cereal:  .55
Cost for half the batch of rolls (I'll add the rest into tomorrow's budget):  4.48

Total daily cost:  $10.58

 

1 comment:

  1. woah woah woah - Jane is expecting? when is she due? what is she having? details!

    ReplyDelete