Pesto Rolls rolling out of the oven at Boothieville, brimming with toasted mozzarella cheese, garlic, basil and onion

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Day 65 Monday in which I teach again and have fast food, budget style

I am teaching a new Childbirth Preparation class series that began tonight.  When I teach on week nights, it means I am away during part of supper and all evening.  Life can be more stressy at home when our regular evening routine is messed with, and our Monday's will be more stressy for the next six weeks.

For me teaching childbirth preparation is refreshing, because I get to share such an important time in the lives of expectant couples, helping them along the way to becoming parents.  I thrive when I am teaching.  I still remember what a profound effect my first childbirth teacher had on my life at that important juncture, and I always pray that I will really be able to meet the needs of my clients/students/parents.  As I prepare them, I try to impart a realism and also an idealism, a vision for themselves to be the best parents and spouses they can be.

And then I come home to the reality that is my own family.  There is a lot more actual realism than idealism in life.  And I have large amount of reality happening here on a daily basis, that is for sure...homework to be finished, forms to sign, stories to be listened to, teeth to be brushed, notes to write, dishes to be done, lunches to be made, hurt feelings to mend, groceries to put away, disagreements to be hashed out, garbages to put out, dogs to be let out, blogs to write, or not write, because I am pulled too many ways....

Food was chosen today completely by simplicity of preparation.  Feed the masses the food groups as quickly as possible.  Rodger decided it wasn't enough for him, so he bought some pizza by the slice on his way back to work from the dentist, too.  This made me feel inadequate, but it made me more sensitive to think of his needs and wants, too.

breakfast menu:  cold cereal and milk
Cost:  $1.99
one box honey smacks:  1.00
half gallon milk:  .99

sack lunches:  peanut butter and jam sandwiches, carrot sticks, romaine, gogurts
Cost:  $4.70
1 box gogurt, 8 servings, marked down:  .99
6 oz peanut butter:  .38
7 oz jam:  .43
fred meyer's bread, 1 loaf:  .88
24 oz carrots:  .41
1 head romaine:  .26
one slice pizza for Rodger from the shop:  1.35

snacks:  toast and butter
Cost:  $1.01
one loaf bread:  .88
half a cube of butter:  .13


As long as I keep running across marked down orange juice, we'll keep drinking it.  This one came from Fiesta Foods.  Usually I find bargain OJ at Albertsons.

There was extra bread from the last loaf, already accounted for, which we used to dip in our stew.

supper:  beef stew, bread, and orange juice
Cost:  $4.24
6.8 lbs potatoes:  .68
1 lb package fried beef:  1.57
2 oz beef soup base:  .50
4 carrots, 24 oz:  .40
1 tablespoon onion powder:  .10
half gallon high pulp orange juice, close dated:  .99

Today's total cost for 11 Boothies:  $11.92, we are over by 92 cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment