Pesto Rolls rolling out of the oven at Boothieville, brimming with toasted mozzarella cheese, garlic, basil and onion

Friday, April 9, 2010

Here's a test of the staying power of the project

Today I am not making a regular post of our eating.  That is because I am not home.

This is the first time during the 10for10for10 project that I have been gone away from home without my family.  Here's how I have handled it so far:  I made up a menu for the next three days (today, Saturday, and Sunday) and written up the exact ingredients and the exact measurements for my family to create meals within the budget.  My husband Rodger asked my to do this, so that makes me think that he is really going to attempt to keep in budget.

I have made the simplest meals I could think of which amateurs could put together fairly quickly.  I figure that to get compliance, ease and speed are the best attributes of the menu plan.  I have also made the meals cheap enough that they can make brownies one day and have a half a gallon of ice cream another day, with a note that the ice cream is available only if the dishes are done.  This incentive plan is to help Rodger to achieve compliance with the least difficulty.  Motivation is always a good thing, and I'm not above using some short term gratification to achieve my goal of coming home to a clean kitchen this Sunday afternoon.

Right now I am visiting my college-going offspring for the yearly Mom's Weekend at WSU.  This town is swarming with mothers, and I am one of the crowd.  I won't be able to post food prices while I'm gone, and then on Monday I will write about what I find in the food department at home.  I'll debrief my husband and kids and find out the scoop when I get back to Boothieville.  My job right now it to be a good mother in a different capacity than usual.

I'm sleeping in a dorm room.  Haven't done that in awhile.  More later, and, I will try to get some pictures of the boothmama's experiences at WinCo, a food store which is worth experiencing, even if only virtually, through the blog. I'll put them up asap, so check back.  WinCo is here on the Palouse, not at home, so I only get a chance to shop at WinCo when I am on a trip.  I love WinCo.  You'll see why.

Until then---adios. 

3 comments:

  1. The only time I have been to Winco is when I have visited Elisabeth at college!

    Have fun at Mom's Weekend!

    TESS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for coming for the weekend, Mom. That was really great, and we had a fun time with you!

    Love,

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this blog. I so enjoy seeing what creative ways you come up with meals and how they are presented so beautifully. Good to see you this weekend. In my book you are MOM OF THE YEAR!!

    ReplyDelete