Pesto Rolls rolling out of the oven at Boothieville, brimming with toasted mozzarella cheese, garlic, basil and onion

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Day 26, how do you spell cheap meat? I spell it P O R K.

Today is the day we are preparing for the biggest school fundraiser of the year.  Four nice dads are coming tonight to help Rodger move my big oven out of our basement, where it lives here, and into the school home-ec room at school.

I am very excited about this idea.  Baking right at the school will give me and enormous room, will keep the bread away from dog hair, and keep me from the stress of having to take care of little children on baking day.

breakfast menu:  cold cereal and milk
cost:  $1.75
  life cereal, one box: 1.00
half gallon milk:  .75jj   
sack lunches:  chicken gravy and mashed potatoes, green salad, mandarin oranges, oat squares
 cost:  $4.40
chicken meat: .99
gravy packet:  .33
flour for thickening:  .05
4.4 lbs potatoes, mashed:  .44
12 mandarin oranges:  1.20
1 lb salad mix:  .69
10 oz oat squares:  .69

I decided to make some bread, while I have an oven in my house, so I put together my roll dough.  It wasn't baked yet when the kids were about to come home, so I did the hurry up thing:  I fried it, and then Noah helped me dip the little breads in cinnamon sugar.  

Fry bread puts everyone in a good mood.
snack:  cinnamon fry-bread
Cost:  $.72
bread dough:  .38
cinnamon:  .05
sugar:  .09
oil for frying:  .20

 Supper included some pork which I purchased at Cash & Carry.  $.99 a pound for boneless pork sirloin!  That's some pretty serious meat eating coming up for us..
. here are the sirloin roasts all divided into 99 cent bags.  I'll freeze them.  Each is enough for one meal.  Maybe we'll make some tamales soon!

I fried up a litte bit of the meat, and then made gravy with the drippings and some poultry gravy mix.  

Supper menu:  hot pork sandwiches, petite peas, peaches
Cost:  $2.84
m fresh bread:  .38
butter: .10
pork sirloin:  .50
gravy mix:  .33
1.2 cup flour for thickening:  .05
1 lb petite peas, frozen:  .98
1 jar canned peaches:  .50

We all ate fast, and cleared everything out of the way for the guys to get the oven out of the house.  I felt warmed by the kindness of all the people who helped us get ready for this baking project.  
 everybody was having a good time
moving a very heavy mixer

Today's total:  $9.71 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment