Pesto Rolls rolling out of the oven at Boothieville, brimming with toasted mozzarella cheese, garlic, basil and onion

Thursday, April 29, 2010

The family speaks

I asked.  They answered.

I asked what my family thought about 10for10for10 and eating for only a dollar a day.  Here are some of the responses...

Christiana, age 8:  "It wasn't hard, and besides, we ate better food than before.  We didn't have pizza on Fridays anymore, but I didn't care." (Friday used to be our pizza night, because we can get 5 dollar pizzas down at Little Caesars, and 3 pizzas feed the family.)  "Are we going to keep doing it?  I think we should."

Kate, age 17:  "It was really good and worked really well.  We had planned meals.  There was nothing negative."

Emily, age 10:  "I want to keep on doing it."

Noah, age 6:  "I don't want to.  Sometimes I just don't feel satisfied."

Trudy, age 15:  "You know how much you are costing.  You appreciate your food more when you eat less.  You just appreciate food more.  Sometimes you're like---Wow, we have one dollar for dinner!"

Mercy, age 13:  I thought it was nice.  It didn't affect me.  I thought it was good:  I don't mind still doing it.

Charity, age 13:  Now that we're done, we can buy bacon and stuff.  One thing, we had barely any hot cereal and that was good..."

Sarah, age 26:  There was more consistency.  It was somewhat limiting on salads until the romaine was on sale, and it limited the vegetables we ate.  It might be easier to do in the summer time when there are more vegetables.  I think homemade tortillas were our best ever discovery!  Since everything was accounted for, people didn't snitch meat much, or it would be gone from the meal.

Rodger, the man of the family:  We always ate regular sit-down meals.  What I missed was large amounts of brocolli and other vegetables.  Usually we eat a lot of vegetables, but I think this would be easier to manage in the vegetable season.  I think I ate healthier.  What changed for me was not snacking so much. And we didn't eat many onions.  We can usually go through a bag in no time, but with the price so high, that really changed.

(An update here:  The price last week at Cash and Carry for 50# onion bags was up to $44/bag.  Yesterday when I went in there, the price was up to $50!  Am I kidding?  No, but I am kicking myself for not getting that bag of onions only 8 weeks ago, when the price had gone clear up to $7.49/bag.  Why did I think that was too much???????)

Christine has thoughts about the project, Christine being me...
I'll write some more about them soon, but Noah needs to be picked up from Kindergarten now, so adios...

1 comment: