Pesto Rolls rolling out of the oven at Boothieville, brimming with toasted mozzarella cheese, garlic, basil and onion

Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Sunday without Mom around much, February 21

     Today we pretended we were part of Rodger's OM summer team in France.  His team never had much money, so they ate bread and jam for breakfast.  The Boothies toasted bread and served it with jam and orange juice today.  We had no milk for tea.  We polished off a whole loaf of the store-bought white fluff, just like that. 

     The German exchange students in our home last year used to love American soft white bread!  It is very unlike European breads. We use white bread for peanut butter sandwiches and feel guilty.  Usually, I prefer to buy Vitabee bread from Fred Meyers, because it isn't fake whole wheat; it really has fiber and has no high fructose corn syrup.  These days I am making my own bread instead, which takes more forethought.

       breakfast menu:  buttered toast, jam, orange juice
Breakfast total: $2.30

one loaf white bread: .99
half gallon OJ:  .99
butter, 12 pats:  .20
jam:  .12

Today we walked to church, and the morning weather did not disappoint.  We learned about praying for those who spitefully use us, and praying during difficult circumstances.

After church I went to set up my classroom for teaching.  I teach Childbirth classes for the hospital, and this is a Sunday "on".   I didn't have to worry about lunch for the fam, because the youth group had a potato feed.  I grabbed a banana and ran off to meet my couples at the classroom.  I am always energized and excited to teach, and exhausted afterward.

Lunch Total: not applicable, everybody ate out

Snack total:  $.40
2 bananas for christine: .30
2 liter bottle of Dr Pepper:  .10
(the kids bought the Dr Pepper at Albertsons with an in-store coupon---free pop and you only pay the sales tax.)  The store limit was one pop per person.  The store manager said that every child could purchase one if they  were personally at the store, so they all headed over with their dimes in hand. We now own diet Dr Pepper galore.  We don't drink soda pop around here, but Rodger let them drink a whole bottle this afternoon.  We'll use the rest for gifts or school functions or celebrations.  I've never had this much Dr Pepper in my house ever before in my life!

After class I munched on my Valentine's gift from Rodger.  No, it wasn't chocolate.  It was...drum roll...beef jerky!  Bet you never would have guessed that one.  Oh Boy, Oberto!



Sunday suppers around here are Mom's night off.  Cold cereal.  Boring but easy.  We treated ourselves to a big plateful of asparagus, too.  I had purchased the asparagus just before the 10for10for10 experiment, and couldn't work it into my budget all week.  So, because of the meal at church, I had a little spare pocket change in my food budget to use up 3 bucks worth of the savory green spears. 

supper menu:  oatmeal squares, milk, asparagus as a treat

Supper total: $5.56

cold cereal:  1.00
1/2 gallon milk: 1.35(price up today)
2 pounds asparagus: 3.00
3 tbsp butter on the asparagus:  .15

Today's total expenditures:  $8.26

I'll post the how-to's of my fry bread on the recipe page tomorrow morning.  See you there, then.




No comments:

Post a Comment