Pesto Rolls rolling out of the oven at Boothieville, brimming with toasted mozzarella cheese, garlic, basil and onion

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Day 13, Friday with an apple cobbler

Sniffing a great odor around the kitchen, I found some of the girls' leftover apple pie sugar-slurry with about half a cut up apple in it. It was sugary and full of the aroma of cinnamon.  I got a late night urge to create something with my find, rather than throw it away.  Here's what I made. 
     I whipped up a double batch of my biscuit/dumpling dough, but sweetened it with about  a quarter cup of sugar.  I poured half of the apple juice and pieces in a casserole dish, layed dolops of the biscuit dough across the whole dish, then poured the rest of the apple slices and flavoring over the dough.  I baked this concoction at 350 until toasty looking, and put it in the school lunches.  It was really just glorified biscuits, but was a bit sweet and cinnamon spicy, and felt like dessert.  Plus, we didn't waste something we might, before, have just poured down the drain.  

     breakfast:  cold cereal, milk and tea
cost:  $2.29
    
     For lunch I wanted to make something different, so I chose rice for our carbs.  Along with the cobbler for dessert, I figured this would help fill everybody's hungry stomachs.  I added chicken and gravy to put over the rice, plus carrots for a daily vegetable.

lunch menu:  chicken, gravy, rice, carrot sticks, apple cobbler 
 cost:  $4.63
1/4 chicken:  1.00
1/4 chicken:  1.00
gravy:  .67
flour:  .10
1.5 lb rice: .96
19 oz carrots: .40
apple cobbler: 1.50
    
after school snack:  the rest of the cobbler, no extra charge

     Also, I almost forgot!  This morning I got the idea to make a treat for my college kids.  Kate and her friends were planning to drive over to Pullman this morning, so as soon as the children were off to the bus, I made a batch of roll dough and put it to rise over warm water to hurry it along.  The girls were taking the day off school and I needed the rolls to be done by 10 am. 
     Wow did it smell good here all day.  Garlic and basil wafting throughout the house.  The rolls came out by 10:15, and the girls picked them up.  By afternoon there were comments on facebook about the pesto rolls which showed up at Peter's house in Pullman.  It was a worthwhile project.  I miss my Annie and Peter.
    
     Supper was weird tonight, because Rodger and I went to chaperone at a Jr High school lock in, plus Kate was gone, and Noah had a Pizza Hut book-it certificate to use up, so the numbers were significantly reduced at home.  Just Sarah, Trudy, and the little girls.  So Trudy made a loaf of my french dough into pizza and cinnamon sticks.  They also bought some ice cream for 1.99 with our extra funds, and made Floats for a treat, as they have been eagerly awaiting.


 Here is Christiana busily working on her special book report.  It's a puppet stage in which her popsicle stick puppets will act out a scene from the Boxcar Children book.

Supper menu:  pesto rolls, pizza, soda pop and ice cream
Supper total:  $2.79
6 pesto rolls: 1.08
1 loaf dough: .28
 tomato sauce: .25
9 oz cheese: 1.18


Daily Total, without the ice cream:  $9.79
Ice cream will come out of the extra savings money we have accumulated with in our budget.  I'll post on that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment