Pesto Rolls rolling out of the oven at Boothieville, brimming with toasted mozzarella cheese, garlic, basil and onion

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Day 43 Rodger returns home bearing gifts and giving us all a shock


Rodger before the retreat:



Rodger after the retreat:


He got a reaction out of everybody, that's for sure! I've never seen Rodger without a mustache ever before in my life, and we have been married more than half my life...

We'll adjust. When I'm not looking at him it seems more like I am talking to him. When I look at him it seems like I'm talking to one of his siblings.




Look at the picture below.  Refried beans are not a pretty thing.  I will say, however, that refried pinto beans look, to us, more like food than the black beans did.
There is a lot of food value in that bowl of beans for 44 cents.


cilantro for flavor and decor


Emily has taken many of the cilantro tips away already.  The whole bundle cost a quarter.


2 ounces of cheese is not very much.  Each taco had only a hint of cheese today.


Emily got this in her stocking for Christmas, so I don't charge the family for its use.  Only a few drops per taco needed.  She and her daddy use it, the rest of us go for more mild salsa.


Christiana's first taco


Emily's first taco


Annie was one of the cooks for the Men's camp.  She was given some leftovers as a gift, and sent them along to us, since she lives in a dorm.  Whoopie!  Hoagie rolls and hamburger buns are not in our usual budget, so we'll mix it up a bit this week.


Nice...


We'll find many good uses for oil, no problem.


Rodger will have sliced tomatoes on his sandwiches, and I'll put the lemonade in the freezer for whenever we have company.


Emily caught me in some deep thought as I was on the laptop.  Obviously I was not typing, so I wasn't working on the blog.  I must have been reading the news.  There was an upsetting article about a family who couldn't get insurance for their newborn baby because it had a pre-existing condition.  How can a newborn have a pre-existing condition?  You can probably find the article.  It was at abc news online.

breakfast menu:  cold cereal and milk
Cost:  $.80
4 servings mini wheats:  .40
4 servings milk:  .40

lunch menu:  tacos
Cost:  $3.00
fresh tortillas:  .40
beans:  .44
1 lb lean hamburger:  .99
lettuce:  .35
6 oz salsa:  .48
cilantro:  .15
2 oz cheese:  .19

snack:  dark chocolate M & Ms
Cost:  $1.49
one package, wiht dollar off coupon

supper:  barbequed pork sandwiches, cold cereal
Cost:  $1.80
 18 halves of barbeque pork sandwiches, no charge, from retreat leftovers
cold cereal, 9 servings:  .80
milk:  .80

Today's total:  $7.10, we did it, even with the m & m's

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Dad looks so Boothman!!!
    Thanks for blogging. I'm having a good time with Jane and Ray and the twins over here...

    Love,
    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bernadette JeffersMarch 30, 2010 at 5:22 PM

    Hello Boothieville! From the "rain in Spain" city of Federal Way Washington, mother of Neil, Katie and Lorna Jeffers. I've so enjoyed your blog! Would love to meet you guys next time we are in the Yak, but sounds like I might need to make an appointment=-)!

    I have a master mix (2# and 4#)recipe for pancakes and no corn syrup, syrup recipe. They say it cost half as much as a store mix, I have been to lazy to figure that out. Can send them your way if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bernadette, I would love to have a chance to meet you. Neil has my secret cell phone number, which is the best way to get a hold of me in person.
    I like the idea of your mixes and would love to get your thoughts on them. Thanks for taking the time to write.
    ---Christine

    ReplyDelete