Pesto Rolls rolling out of the oven at Boothieville, brimming with toasted mozzarella cheese, garlic, basil and onion

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Day 24, with violin lessons and a trip to Fiesta Foods!

   Tuesdays are always on the road a lot for me, and out of usual routine.
Here's Noah at his violin lesson.  Look at that beautiful bow grip.  Perfect.

Linda Peterson, his wonderful violin teacher, is not only amazing as an instructor, I also learn parenting skills from her every time I watch her interact with the children.  I am honored to know her, and privileged to have my children under her guidance.

Today's eating experience began with hot cereal here at Boothieville.  It seemed to go with the chill of the morning.  Thinking of the food groups, I added peaches to the meal.
 breakfast menu:  hot cereal, milk, tea, canned peaches
Cost:  only $1.54
rolled oats, 4 1/2 cups dry:  .54
5 cups milk:  .50
1 qt peaches:  .50

      Lunch was a pleasant experience, patterned after last night. 
sack lunches:  mashed potatoes, beef and gravy, sliced bread, mandarin oranges
Cost:  $4.05
5 lbs potatoes, mashed:  .50
gravy packet:  .33
roast beef tidbits:  1.57
flour for thickening:  .10
1 loaf homemade bread:  .30
1 tbsp butter: .05
10 mandarin oranges:  1.20

afternoon snack:  1 loaf bread with a hint of butter, eaten on the way to violin lessons
Cost:  $.33

Supper menu:  black beans over rice, green salad, bread and butter
Cost:  $2.44

This was a very simple meal, fast and easy, because the beans were already cooked ahead, and the rice cooker did it's magic while I cut the salad and we set the table. Simple is okay, especially on Tuesdays, for me.

thats a pretty good salad for $.64.  Leaf lettuce heads were 5/1.00 all week at Fiesta Foods, which you will see more of as you scroll below...

 (3/4 lb before cooking) black beans:  .30
1.5 lbs rice:  .96
1 heart romaine:  .44
1 head green leaf lettuce:  .20
1 carrot: .02
onion porder: .02
1 loaf my bread:  .30
1/2 cube butter:  .20

      The fun today began when Rodger and I took a trip down to Fiesta Foods, a huge new grocery store around here.  It's a cultural experience...take a look.

if only I had a need for lemons...I won't, until this summer's farmers' market, where we make lemonade, but look on...

I've never considered cactus for Boothieville's menu, but obviously other families do

to the left you see massive numbers of jalapenos, lower center has pasillas galore

whoa, look at these!  There are so many packages of them that I know it's not just the science teachers buying them.  They cost the same as my purchase below, chicken tenders.  Was it hard to choose between the two?  Wellllll....no  There are some cultural gaps that I do not understand. Chicken feet for the same price as chicken tenders? 

these were my choice

how about tripe...?

if I wanted to make steak and kidney pie...

Now for the most inspiring part of the shopping trip:

The virgin and the store thank me for coming...how about that?


my shopping bag...
my favorite purchase of the night---Tillamook butter for .99!  What?  99 cents?  I got 9 lbs of it.  Yay.

Today's total eating cost at Boothieville:  only $8.36  cha ching!

 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Great pictures, mom.
    !Butter was 99 cents???!!!! That's loco!

    Love,

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, I want a Fiesta Foods! It looks Amazing! Bargains get me really excited! Looking forward to following the rest of your journey!

    ReplyDelete